Tuesday, December 6, 2016

Joel Smith's database presentation

Joel Smith's presentation on databases was very informative and he explained it in ways that were easily understandable. When I first got my degree in computer science at Renton Technical College, learning Access was the most difficult program in Microsoft Office. It used to be a lot like writing code there was a lot of steps to get a small database started. The way that Joel explained it looked much easier or they have changed the methods you use to create a database.
The photo of the building whose windows made up a barcode was quite cool I would like to see that in person. I also thought it was really cool the way some companies are incorporating their barcode into their logo. It blew me away also the number of products that the average grocery store has in it now I have a friend that owns a mom-and-pop grocery store down the street from my house and I plan to ask him how many items he has in his inventory, because it's a half the size of a Safeway.
I'm old enough to remember grocery store lines when they didn't have scanners and I can't imagine all the produce codes and other prices in things the checkers would have to memorize before the invention of the barcode scanners. When my son was eight or nine he got a toy that you could scan barcodes and it gave you a little weapon or monster. Needless to say it didn't work very well and he lost interest with it quickly I think it's in the junk drawer in my man cave I'm going to bring it to class wednesday, if I can find it.

No comments:

Post a Comment