Friday, December 9, 2016

Cyber security group presentation

I thought it was very interesting to learn that a guy by the name of Robert T Morris released the first worm on Arpanet in 1988. That's the year I graduated high school I didn't think there were already threats towards cybersecurity. The Melissa and I love you virus attacks I remember those when they happened, but I was not affected by them. Cybersecurity being a seventy-five billion dollar a year Market does not surprise me. In fact that number seems low to me.

James Johnston with a T, sorry I thought that was funny the way he said that at the beginning of his part of the presentation. I had no idea that webcams were that vulnerable, even though I had heard on the news about baby monitor cameras being hacked. I just assumed that webcams in like computer monitors and laptops have better security than a baby monitor camera. I guess it's time to tape up my computer screens camera. His personal story about the external hard drives packed with C4 explosives and ball bearings and  able to be detonated just by being plugged into a computer. That's beyond scary it's amazing to me what criminals or terrorists will do to hurt other people or their enemies.

Ashton Terry talked about the department of defense's cybersecurity and how each branch of the military has their own different system for cybersecurity. The best way to stay ahead of the enemy is by keeping your software up to date, restricting leaked information and monitoring anomalies in the system. Terrorists in foreign countries are trying to use cyber warfare and espionage by gaining access to our networks thousands of times a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment